Trying out a scene in black and white using some of the digital techniques I’ve been playing with recently.
Sharing is always a virtue.
One from my archives: an epic tale of greed and loss that I animated back in college, set to They Might Be Giants’ “Severe Tire Damage Theme”
I don’t know what caused the idea for this image to pop into my head a few weeks ago, but I think there might be a story in there somewhere!
Boarding a lunar shuttle for an exciting family trip to the Moon may be commonplace some day, but I have a feeling that many children will remain unenthused about long-distance travel regardless of the zero-g.
(You may recognize the grumpy girl from this post, which featured a sheet from her character design phase)
Click for Larger view!
I painted this Rocket in late 2011 for my brand-new son’s room. I wanted it to be special, and after going through a few different ideas, I decided to spruce it up with an overpainting of glow-in-the-dark paint. I think it turned out pretty well!
Acrylic on Canvas, 36″x24″
My current project (working title: “Turtle Book”. Actual title: TBD) has actually been an on-and-off-again endeavor for more than ten years. Sometime in 2002, I doodled this in a notepad I had laying around my apartment:
Original Doodle, 2002
A few friends saw it, and it caused a much more enthusiastic reaction than most of my random doodles. There were many calls for a children’s book to be made. This happened a few times to no avail, but a year later in 2003, people were still asking me about it. I must admit, I thought of it myself from time to time. I decided to roll up my sleeves and make the book; I got out my pen and paints, and created this, version 2.0:
Pen and Watercolor, 2003
Then, I got a job, a new apartment, started going to school, and (mostly) forgot about the project. It would not die, however!
Friends and family would ask about how the book was coming. Every now an again, I’d pull out the manila folder I kept the project in, and work on the story outline, or do some character design sketches. At some point between the watercolor in 2003 and the spring of 2006, I finished the whole story, sketched in pencil on 3″x5″ cards and the text hand-written and affixed via post-it notes. (I know it was done by the spring of 2006, because I read it in this form to a girl on our third date, and we smooched at the end, and then a year and a half later we got married.)
It was pretty slow going for a few years, with an occasional edit here and there, and a few false starts on a new pen-and-ink version. I got my degree in Art+Design with a focus on Animation and Advanced multimedia in 2010, and with the release of the iPad just a few months before, new life began pouring into the project as the idea evolved from paper storybook to interactive storyapp.
Finally, now in January of 2013, I finished the new digital version as part of a rapidly progressing storyapp:
Digital Illustration, 2013
Trying out some different hairstyles and skin tones for a possible future character.
(Update: The character has now showed up in a finished piece)